Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Love is the Answer

"A sacrifice to be real must cost, must hurt, must empty ourselves..." - Mother Teresa

Love is a sacrifice.

Love will save this world. But if love is all it takes, then why is it so hard?

Once love is looked at in its truest sense, one can see how and why it should hurt so much. Love is a sacrifice. loving someone who loves you back is easy. But loving someone who isn't lovable is the true test.

There are many people in my life who haven't loved me back the way that i desired them to. friends. People who i considered close. Leaders I looked up to. People I invested my heart in. and to now see that there exists a lack of love between us... is really hard for me to understand.

To feel unloved is just something no one wants to feel. But the worst thing one can do in response to that is to stop loving back. To give up on them is the easier thing to do. But to love despite all odds allows you to soar to the highest of places.

It all comes back to sacrifice. a sacrifice of self is true love.

To love I must...

* Sacrifice my pride and my ego even if it means humiliation by the world's standards or losing some friends.
* Sacrifice "winning" the argument because peace should be my bigger desire.
* Sacrifice having the last word because speaking, writing, blogging, spreading negativity will only add disdain and coldness to my heart.
* Sacrifice my image (vanity) for the sake of Christ's image to be seen in me.
* Sacrifice being with someone if they do not bring me to Christ. (yes, this means breaking up with your boy/girlfriend. It will hurt but maybe it's your needed sacrifice.)
* Sacrifice being popular if it compromises what I stand for inside.
* Sacrifice all I have so others may receive even part.
* Sacrifice inconveniences and hardships just to know it is a way for me to be shaped and molded into a stronger person.
* Sacrifice complaining because I really have nothing to complain about.
* Sacrifice more because I have too much and there's more to be given!

Jesus loved us who rejected Him, who denounced and tortured Him. He loved us so much that even as we forgot Him, He remembered us. Through every second of His suffering, He offered us a love greater than all the whole world's love combined. His love is sacrifice.

So next time you love, if it hurts a little, make sure it only causes you to love harder. Shout "Thank you, Jesus!" when it hurts. For it is through that hurt that Jesus is allowing you to have a taste of what He lived when He loved, and thus... He is making you more like Him. To empty yourself, for love is the type of selflessness that will heal this world. It is through our sacrifice of self that all in this world may experience true love.

"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love." ~Mother Teresa

Forwarded by a friend. Thanks!

Labels: , ,