Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Kids: Little Devils or Precious Angels?

I am a part-time educator, dealing with kids aged 7 to 13, for 1 to 4 hours everyday. If I didn't have to work in the office for the rest of my 8-hour job, I'd go nuts.

There's a point when you just can't take the kids' whining and non-stop noise, that you feel like bursting into flames. Especially when they mock you, make up explanations, or start their delaying tactics, you just can't help but give them your most menacing-yet-calm look. So far, it still works, thank God for that.

But no matter how bratty and hyper they are, there are still moments when you can't get enough of them. Just the other day, I was teaching Paint in the computer to the first grade, and they were sooo eager to learn, one of the kids started to cry when he wasn't able to save his work. He went, "It's gone... My work.. gone". He was so cute, I wanted to laugh, but told him "mai pen rai" (nevermind in Thai) instead. The older kids have been busy with online activities. They're beginning to appreciate the weight of their efforts (they get online scores so they can monitor their performance), and it has given them a bit of stife for excellence.

Plus, I have a niece and a nephew whom I truly adore. They're just the cutest things.

Hmmm.... I still can't decide what they are.

Labels: ,