Saturday, January 27, 2007

Is It Right To Judge?

A friend once quoted, "You hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of your own eye; and then shall you see clearly to cast out the mote out of your brother's eye." At first, I thought it was just out of fury that my friend had said it. But thinking about it now, my friend had spoken of the truth.

I used to think that we have no right to judge anyone. Taking the statement as it is makes is utterly incorrect. I realized that my idea of judgement is that of our feelings, our traditions, or our opinions. I wish to express my idea on this in my own words, but this link has given me more wisdom and clarity that I dare not give it another version. The lines the struck me the most were "(God) allows judging after you have first judged YOURSELF" and "don't judge when God's word is silent".

Basically, we ought to follow seven rules in judging others: (1) Judge Scripturally; (2) Don't Judge When God's Word Is Silent; (3) Pray for Good Judgement Ability; (4) Don't Respect Persons; (5) Judge in Truth; (6) Judge Mercifully; and (7) Don't Forget to Judge Yourself.

Being human alone makes me weak inside when it comes to giving judgement, or taking it in constructively. But I do believe that with faith and practice, our judgement ability would be strengthened eventually. May we learn to do it righteously, as God expects us to judge.

Labels: , ,