Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Daily Digest #165

Walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. —Ephesians 5:15-16

I've shared with you my thoughts on idle time the other week, and how I struggled with it. I used to spend my idle time on thinking, planning and worrying. I realized how I've wasted all those precious moments, producing nothing out of it. I even deprived myself of the much-needed sleep that I ended up worrying more, and still tired the next day. It felt like waiting every day for nothing. Then I realized how much I had to make out of the time that was been given to me. I needed to do nothing extravagant or extraordinary. Actually, the simpler it was, the happier and more contented I became. I learned how each moment counts, even with just helping out, talking to those who are lonely, taking a stroll around the park or mall to reminisce on happy memories, playing with kids under 5years, or listening to stories of elders over 70. Sometimes a good book or a quick stroll can ease stress. Still, with so much going on in our lives every day, we find ourselves bored, looking for other things to do. Lately, I learned to see this as His way of reminding me to pray. It has become an opportune time for me to blurt out whatever I want to say to Him, or ask Him about something. Actually, doing this makes me feel like a child again, somehow. I can testify how keeping a regular communication with the Lord gives peace of mind, and a good night's sleep! :D

For this, let us pray. May we make time to talk to God every day. May we not let the day pass without giving thanks for all our blessings, asking forgiveness for our sins and praising Him more for His presence and love in our lives. May we believe that He is with us everyday, listening to our every word, seeing our every action, and working out everything for His purpose. Pray always.

++++++++++++

Fretting is Futile
Monday, October 20, 2008
“You cannot add any time to your life by worrying about it.” Matthew 6:27


No one has to remind you of the high cost of anxiety. (But I will anyway.) Worry divides the mind. The biblical word for worry (merimnao) is a compound of two Greek words, merizo (“to divide”) and nous (“the mind”). Anxiety splits our energy between today’s priorities and tomorrow’s problems. Part of our mind is on the now; the rest is on the not yet. The result is half-minded living.

That’s not the only result. Worrying is not a disease, but it causes diseases. It has been connected to high blood pressure, heart trouble, blindness, migraine headaches, thyroid malfunctions, and a host of stomach disorders.

Anxiety is an expensive habit. Of course, it might be worth the cost if it worked. But it doesn’t. Our frets are futile. Worry has never brightened a day, solved a problem, or cured a disease.

Labels: ,