Friday, June 26, 2009

Daily Digest #308

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do so. —Proverbs 3:27

While reading the above reflection, I could only think of 1 question: how do you love (or care for) the proud? It took me back to past hurts (which are yet to be resolved) and realized how I've struggled with letting go.

I wish to quote a friend who shared his insight on this moral dilemma: "I'll just say 'God bless you' and then I let go." What I learned from this about myself is that I have unconsciously (or subconsciously) set expectations on people that I got frustrated and hurt in the end. I blamed others for several unfavorable outcomes, which were solely brought by my own clouded perception or decision. And I realized how letting go can release someone of his/her own pains and worries, and actually live a full life.

I have gone through pain and grief many times. There might be opportunities for those people who hurt us to come up and try to rebuild a broken relationship. The question is, how would we respond? Would we simply welcome them with open arms even when we're not ready? Or would we have the courage to tell the person "I'm not ready yet" and allow healing?

Oswald Chambers has a profound say on this: "Even the weakest saint can experience the power of the deity of the Son of God, when he is willing to 'let go.' But any effort to 'hang on' to the least bit of our own power will only diminish the life of Jesus in us. We have to keep letting go, and slowly, but surely, the great full life of God will invade us, penetrating every part. Then Jesus will have complete and effective dominion in us, and people will take notice that we have been with Him."

For this, let us pray. Lord, thank you for the gift of forgiveness and unconditional love. May we learn to love and forgive, just as you have. Please help us deal with our pains and realize each lesson behind. Lord, please give us the courage to walk Your way no matter how difficult it is to accept the truth. We pray for our friends, families and loved ones, as well as our enemies. We lift up all our relationships to you -- may You be in the middle of everything. We ask these through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Labels: ,