Sunday, July 23, 2006

Late Night With Shyamalan

As I took the last ride on the subway tonight, I started to reflect on the film I just saw.

A few weeks ago, the "Lady In The Water" movie poster came out and easily caught my eye. I was highly intrigued. I felt a bit of excitement just seeing M. Night Shyamalan's name. I thought "Has he done another film with a kickass twist, like 6th Sense and The Village? Or would it suck, like Signs and Unbreakable?" I was also looking forward to seeing his cameo appearance, as he always did in his previous films.

The movie is basically a modern-day bedtime story with a twist, or even a few. It is NOT a horror film. Anyone expecting a scary movie, much like the 6th Sense, will be very disappointed. Believe it or not, it is safe to let kids watch this one. How do nymphs, beasts, guilds, healers and other fantasy characters sound?

Though the movie is not intended for everybody's enjoyment, the film points out several lessons, including some laughs. It sends out a message about purpose. We all have one and everyone is meant to be somebody. All we need to do is figure that out.

Oh, and yes, M. Night DID appear in the film, and actually played a semi-major role this time. Kinda strengthened my belief about his quest for stardom in the acting arena. Frustration perhaps? Hehe.

Labels: