Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Warrior of the Light

I just came across this blog and found a very inspiring explanation of what "warrior of the light" means. I am a Paulo Coelho fan, and I would like to share this article with you. Happy reading! God bless you, blogger, whoever you are.

********************

The term "warrior of the light" may seem very "new-age", as my father would call it, or perhaps something you'd hear out of a fantasy novel or something. Personally, I really like that term. "Warrior of the light". I think it sounds cool. Well, yes, I am the sort who commonly plays fantasy games and such so yeah, it should sound cool to me.

But not only that. My Chinese name is 保亮. The literal translation of that would be "Protector of the Light", and yes, essentially that is the meaning of my Chinese name. Very paladin-ish sounding name eh? Heh. Well, I know that God has a reason for giving me this name and that in due time He'll show me what this name means with respect to my life destiny.

Let's not drift. Warriors of the light. What exactly does that mean? I did some study on the term "light" in the Bible, and well, I am convinced that the term "light" signifies 3 things. What are these 3 things?

1. God
2. Christ
3. Christians

Firstly, "light", is God. Of course the bible mentions that God is love as well, but it is also stated that God IS light. 1 John 1:5, "And this is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all." Darkness, is the universal symbol and condition of sin and death, and light being holiness because God is holy.

Next, "light" also symbolises Jesus Christ. Not only because Jesus is God, but also because the light in this case is slightly different. I will explain further. John 8:12, "Then Jesus spoke again to them saying, I am the light of the world..."

Lastly, we are "light" as well. Everyone who catches and reflects the light of God and of Christ is called light. Just like John the Baptist was described in John 5:35, "He was a burning and shining light, and you were willing for a time to rejoice in his light." John 12:36, "While you have the Light, believe in the Light so that you may become sons of Light..."

So then, light can symbolise so many things. But what does it all mean? How do these forms of light relate to one another? Let me put it this way:

Picture God as a blazing campfire which generates much light and heat. We, mankind, are merely candles, unlit candles that is. Now, the candles should be lit, for that's what candles are made for, to carry a flame. However, the blazing fire can't light the candles. Imagine if i used a flamethrower to light a candle. What would happen? The candle would melt and disintegrate. The fire is just too big and powerful for the candle. So how then can all the candles be lit? It took a single candle, which was lit from the blazing campfire. This candle, was sent to the rest of the candles to light them, and after being lit, each candle would light another and so on.

That's how it is. The light needed to be spread to man, but God couldn't do it as God. So, He passed on the light to a man, this man being God in the flesh, Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ was sent to spread the light, just as the beautiful song states, "Light of the world you stepped down into darkness, opened my eyes and let me see.." And even now as Jesus sits at the right hand of God, the task to spread the light has been entrusted to man.

For a time such as this, whereby man is drifting further and further from the light, we need to rise up as warriors of the light. Warriors of God, warriors of Christ, warriors of Christians. Warriors are called to fight, to fight the darkness and spread the light. In every fight, in every battle, there will be injuries, there will be setbacks. Are you ready to be a warrior of the light?

Taken from Preach It, Reach It blog dated 4 January 2007.

Labels:


2 Comments:

  • hi Jho! :) ..this is really very timely. I also recently came across a phrase.. "Your name is your mission" and while reflecting on the blog you posted something in me began to stir. I knew now what my name meant... Marjorie Louise... Marjorie means "Pearl" or precious and Louise means "Courageous Warrior"... :) Someone also said that what our names meaning is our name in heaven... It is the name God will call us with endearingly when we are back home with Him. :) be blessed! :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:58 PM, September 10, 2008  

  • Hi, Marlou :D Wow, mine means "God is gracious". I can attest that I have truly been blessed in many ways. And He always stirs me back into this truth when I find myself wandering and wondering what I'm here for. I guess I could remind myself every day that my life is a reflection of God's love for me :D God bless you, too!

    By Blogger mojojho, at 8:38 AM, September 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

Back to Home Page