Monday, October 19, 2009

Daily Digest #354

What things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. —Philippians 3:7

I just had a quick conversation with an elder about "backsliding". This got me into serious thinking last night. He said most of those who backslide are the ones who cease praying, eventually slipping back to their old ways. I assessed myself and realized how I've held on to habits that have kept me away from Christ. These are the things He continuously tells me to let go, but I have chosen my own will over His. Mostly out of comfort, or for believing it's the easiest way out. But when I look at it closely, I realize how I've been afraid to face some of the things at hand. I hold on to what I'm used to having, to prevent myself from falling or making mistakes. I thought by doing this, I was being brave, but it was actually cowardly. What I thought was faith in God turned out to be faith in myself alone.

This brings us all back to embracing the power of prayer. It is only through constant prayer that we learn to surrender to God and let go of the things that keep us away from Him. For this, let us pray.... Lord, thank You for opening our eyes to the things that matter most -- our relationship with You, and with others. Lord, though it may be hard for us to let go, please be patient with us. We ask for strength and courage to face our trials. May we cling to you at all times. These we ask through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Labels: ,