Monday, March 10, 2008

Daily Digest #26

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. —Hebrews 13:2

It's quite embarrassing to admit that meeting new people dreads me sometimes. I do seem aloof when I get to a new environment, and I usually wait until another person initiates introduction. Ok, I guess some of you would say, "si Joanne, snob? dae man baga!" Haha... Well, I guess going far away from our roots opens a new world of discovering one's self. I became more conscious of people's intentions, and mine as well. I lived a life of solitude for quite a while, and I learned to appreciate quiet moments, or "dates" with the city. Although after some time, I felt I needed to reach out to others. I didn't know how to start, i knew i had this eagerness inside me to just go out there and be friendly again. I still struggle now. But seeing strangers doing kindness in their small ways -- like waiting for you to catch the lift, holding the door open when both your hands are carrying grocery bags, watching over your stuff or holding your spot in the queue when you need to go to the bathroom for a few minutes, offering a seat in the subway or bus, or freely offering help in english/foreign language translation -- inspires me to do the same. Sometimes we touch other's lives without realizing it.

May we pray for a kind heart, that we may learn to reach out to others, even in small ways. May we see the goodness in others so we would not bother ourselves with selfish issues. May we all learn to live a Christ-like life. Pray always.

Labels: ,