Monday, March 10, 2008

Daily Digest #29

Whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. —Matthew 5:22

How can this be when I just obtained my master's degree in creative pang-ookray?!? I am guilty of name-calling and cursing for the longest time, although most of them were expressed as joking matters (excuses hehe). One big OUCH.

Oftentimes, we fail to give caution for the words coming out of our mouths. I remember back in high school, a friend of mine confessed how much I've hurt her feelings for calling her something she was not, when I only treated it as a joke. I guess that was the only candle that stuck in my memory during that recollection day until now. That was also the very first time I started becoming conscious of the little things I say. I also remember mama's wise words when we were younger, "kung wala kang magandang sasabihin, mabuti pang manahimik nalang" (if you have nothing good to say, it's better to stay quiet).

Looking at it in another perspective, when we say bad things to or about others, not only are we hurting another person's feelings but we're also insulting God's creation.... I am currently taking in big gulps of air as I type.... As I said, I am guilty of many things, even in my thoughts.... For me, this is really hard to understand for we all have pride, acceptance and forgiveness issues. And these are usually triggered by seeing and encountering others who we think are worthy of disdain. But doesn't it seem self-righteous to express contempt for others who are also our equal in God's eyes? Who are we anyway? *ga-munggo na ang pawis ko, grabe... and it's below 20 degrees in the office!*

Several verses from Proverbs 18: A fool's lips bring him strife, and his mouth invites a beating. A fool's mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul. The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts. The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

May we thank God for giving us His words of wisdom. May we be enlightened and inspired by His words. May we pray for a tame tongue and a kind heart. Pray always.

Labels: ,