Friday, July 04, 2008

Daily Digest #89

Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. —1 Timothy 6:17

I was having a conversation with a co-worker earlier. We were talking about our career choices, and life in general. Married with 2 kids, she reminisced on the days when she wished she was still single in order to travel all around the world. I sensed a bit of regret on her life's choices -- maybe for marrying or having kids too soon, or just not reaching for her dreams when she had the chance. What struck me most was the fact that she hung on to her choices, and remained faithful to the commitment she made to her husband and kids. I saw how she counted her blessings despite of all the doubts. It also led me to think how we usually yearn for the things we do not or cannot have, which sometimes confuses ourselves between fulfilling a dream and just being happy.

I have yet again realized how we ought to count our blessings every day. Sometimes we look so far that we take what we have NOW for granted. As a single, I have learned to enjoy the things I can still enjoy independently. I try to remind myself always that NOW is the time to do what I have to do, and be happy with the things that I have been blessed with, because they might not be here tomorrow. And it overwhelms me how much I actually have... much more than what I really need. I have a family who loves me, friends who support and comfort me, a job, a good health... and the list goes on and on. There is nothing else left for me to do but praise and worship the One who has provided me with all these gifts.

For this, I offer a personal prayer for the following people: for my family, that we may continue to love and support each other, and that we may grow in Christ together and individually; for my friends, near and far, to spread the kindness and lessons we learned from ourselves and each other, and that God may stay between us at all times; for my superiors, co-workers and students, that we may always be united in peace and harmony; for my neighbors, that we may always be safe, respecting one another; for those who have wronged me, or whom i have wronged, that we may have strength and courage to correct in a righteous way and learn to forgive each other, and ourselves; for my household and community, that we may stay focused on God alone, leading every single activity to Him, praying for each other and helping those in need. Thank you all for being blessings to me. May we always pray for each other. God bless!

Labels: ,