Saturday, December 06, 2008

Daily Digest #191

My earnest expectation and hope [is] that . . . Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. —Philippians 1:20

Not to expect is something really hard to do. I, personally, have had a hard time getting rid of my expectations. Sometimes I believe that I ought to get something in return out of all the hard work that I do. Not anything material, but at least some respect. I admit to have expected so much from other people, especially in times of need. But not everything and everyone fits in my time frame, which usually frustrates me. I realize yet again how God keeps on reminding me to expect only from Him -- that I need not be anxious, that He hears my prayers, and that He knows my needs. Looking back at the times when I expected something, I realize how much I've focused on my needs rather than what I could, or was supposed to do, at that given time and place. To be reminded that I am not always in control humbles me over and over again. I can only wish that I could have it permanently etched in my heart and in my mind.

For this, please join me in offering this prayer. As God teaches us to trust in Him at all times, may He bless us with a patient and understanding heart. May we learn to assess difficult situations and find out what He is trying to tell or teach us. May we also refrain from inducing expectations to others, like making promises and not keeping them. May we learn to count our blessings, and not our woes. Pray always.

Labels: ,