Monday, March 10, 2008

Scarred People Are Beautiful

MAN SPEAKS:

I’ve seen a number of movies lately, Lord,
like Romeo and Juliet.
The love of young people, at least in those movies
is beautiful…...so simple… so total….so complicated.
They seem so natural, so free in their emotions,
so clear in their feelings.
I wish I could be like that, Lord, but it can’t be.
Why is it so?

I’ve been hurt, Lord.
I’ve trusted and been betrayed at times.
I’ve loved and received nothing in return.
I have tried hard to care and failed often.
I have shared my secrets and heard them whispered to others.
I have been warm and receive a cold shoulder.

I have been through it, Lord.
I’ve fallen on my face.
I’ve banged my shins.
I’ve been bruised.
Look, Lord, I’m all covered with scars!

THE LORD SPEAKS:

Maybe you haven’t understood enough; Maybe you haven’t learned
that human life is like that: All Saints are scarred.
Young love isn’t the highest form of human love. The greatest love
comes from scarred people.
I know that many people stop loving so that they won’t hurt again.
But those who do start over again, who continue inspite of
all, who leave themselves open to the possibility of being
hurt again – These people are able to love again
in a deeper way, a more understanding way, a richer way.

MAN’S RESPONSE:

I think I know what you mean, Lord, I’ve met people like that…
and knowing them gives me courage.
The great people are those who continue to love with their scars…
I like scarred people, Lord – They are beautiful.

Labels: ,