Friday, April 03, 2009

Daily Digest #258

[Jesus] began to be troubled and deeply distressed. Then He said to them, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death.” —Mark 14:33-34

I could relate to the writer's experience stated on Tuesday's Daily Bread reflection, although my loss didn't include physical death. The closest people in my life had to leave consecutively in a span of 1 year. I thought I was prepared and strong enough to handle it, but I couldn't deny the feeling of grief, and the thought of abandonment crept in. But little by little, God made me understand how they happened for a reason. He reminded me again that He was in control, and that I could only play my part in what was currently at hand. He made me realize that although I felt alone or forsaken, He was always with me.

I'm thankful to have read the reflection above. I have wondered about Jesus' famous line "why have you forsaken me?" for a while now, and this has made me understand the scene better. At first, I was sympathetic, to the point of asking God the same question, but with anger. But here, I realize how Jesus simply expressed His pain and grief, without anger. He knew perfectly well that the Heavenly Father's will was being done, although He couldn't deny His own feelings. I guess one of Jesus' many remarkable characters being exhibited here was that He was a master of His emotions.

Allow me to share to you a short article a friend just forwarded to me (read below... thanks Marlou). May we grow a heart like Jesus. May we learn to master our emotions, and trust that God is in control. May His will be done. Pray always.


The Journey Goes On....

A dear sister wrote,
"Im in the middle of nowhere...that's exactly where i need to be." Our life as a missionary can be totally out of this world. Ours is a life that knows no place to really call home because every place is home. Some situations can be scary because it just takes us so far away from everything we know, but in it we find ourselves in awe of God's power working in and through us. Its so amazing how one simple conversation with a stranger and a little courageous sharing of God's victories in your life can be a life-changing, Jesus-experience for a person, especially ourselves.

"Its funny how God always takes us to the middle of nowhere just so we can find exactly where we're going..." and knowing that God is faithful to walk with us all the way...our JOURNEY continues...

"For I know the plans I have for you..." ~Jeremiah 29:11


Labels: ,