Friday, March 20, 2009

Daily Digest #250

Let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. —Philippians 2:3-4

Many times I almost gave up caring for others. I am a giver by nature, and it truly makes me happy helping or making time for people. But due to circumstances I cannot control, my "begging" days came to a halt. I realized how I've grown to expect something in return, which made me compare between what I was giving out and taking in. It came to a point when I felt loving was exhausting. I needed people who didn't need me. In terms of unrequited love, I may just be one of the experts hehe :D

But God opened my eyes to tell me that I was loved. Through His words, He told me how I mattered to Him, how each person matters, and how He knows what my heart was saying. He healed my pain from numerous rejections. He made me realize how each person has a journey of his/her own, and that we can learn from each encounter. Lucky are we to find relationships that last. And He made me see this through my family, who has always been there for me, though separated by distance (thanks to the internet, we get to keep in touch as often as possible); and loyal friends, tested by time and circumstances, who have always offered a lending ear and a helping hand. I finally knew what "a friend in need is a friend indeed" meant (i honestly didn't understand this before): that a real friend is a person who trusts you enough to lean on you, and who unknowingly gives you the benefit of doing something selfless and good.

I am still healing, but I am looking forward to the day when I am able to love without expecting anything in return. For this, let us pray. May we ask God to give us the strength and courage to love. May we make time to help and to care. May we ask Him to bless our existing relationships and draw us closer to Him. May we focus on pleasing Him than ourselves. May we learn to value people who give their unconditional love. May we learn from people who reflect Jesus' face and truly apply the lessons in our lives. Pray always.

Labels: ,