Friday, April 17, 2009

Daily Digest #267

He must increase, but I must decrease. —John 3:30

Up until this afternoon, I thought I was having an awful day. I've witnessed many types of injustice on the road -- higher than usual fares (no ticket provided unless asked, or rather insisted), a couple of reckless turns and overtakes which could have caused major accidents -- plus several grumbling from people who seemed to have grown a habit of complaining. After the 2-hour ride, I went straight to a local resto to buy dinner to take home, but for some reason, nobody from the restaurant staff got any of the orders right, causing delays to many customers, thus, more grumbling (yes, I was one of them). I was guilty of raising my killer eyebrows to the lady at the restaurant. Honestly, it felt bad to add up to the lady's worrisome look. So I tried really hard to calm myself and gave her a smile when she handed me the takeout.

When I read the scripture verse above, I realize how timely it is, considering what I have experienced the whole day. Although many negative things happened around me (and inside my head), God never failed to show me the positive sides. He reminded me of how people might be having personal struggles which may have caused such negative words or actions. He reminded me that emotions like anger and frustration are normal, but it's what one does with these emotions that matter. He also reminded me that there are so many reasons to smile. If it weren't for these humbling reminders, I would have gone home with a frown and a heavy heart.

For this, join me in prayer. May we ask God to guide our thoughts, words and actions at all times. May we learn to master our emotions. May we learn from the life of Jesus. Pray always.


Soul Searching Prayer

Does my life please You as I live each day?
Do I glorify You, Lord, in everything I say?
Do I show others Your love in all that I do?
When others see me do they also see You?

Are my motives pure-- I know that You see?
Would I want other Christians to be just like me?
You understand my thoughts-- You're the only One Who can.
When I'm all by myself am I a God pleasing man?

I don't mean am I perfect, for without Christ I know I'm not,
But am I doing doubtful things hoping that I won't be caught?
Are there any hidden issues in the depths of my heart
That, as a Christian, I should bid to depart?

If there's any thought or action that's bringing You shame,
Help me to surrender it in Jesus' blessed Name.
I don't want to continue anything that displeases You,
And I want to do everything that You would have me do.

Dear God, in Your wisdom, You know how to keep me straight,
If You ever see me straying correct me before it's too late.
By Your grace You have saved me and forgiven all my sin,
I love You, I thank You, and I praise You.

I pray in the name of Your Beloved Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

Labels: ,