Thursday, January 21, 2010

Daily Digest #365

You shall teach [God’s Word] to your children . . . when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. —Deut. 11:19

Parents have many ways to show the world how precious their children are. I have many friends with kids these days. Their babies' photos take up most of their album spaces in facebook, and it's been really fun to view them all. No matter how difficult the circumstances are, parents try their best to provide for, spend time with, and teach their kids. And no matter how these kids turn out when they grow up as independent adults, their parents' child-rearing would still bring tremendous impact in their lives.

I was once asked what were the most valuable lessons my parents have taught me. And I remember answering "be silent if you have nothing good to say" and "do not spend more than what you earn" from Mama, and "be less attached to material things" and "make time to keep in touch with family" from Papa. I believe these words have helped shaped me into becoming the person that I am today. Now that I have learned to read Bible passages, I couldn't thank God more for having my parents teach us (my siblings and I) His words in their own paternal way. And no matter how human they have turned out to be, their care and words in my youth always bring me back to honoring them as my parents.

Our experiences as kids, good or bad, have an effect on how we raise our children today. With God's wisdom and guidance, may we become God's instruments in teaching and molding our youth. In turn, may we keep a child-like heart. May we always pray for our children, that they may grow doing God's purpose, and live a life of faith, hope and love. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

Happy Monday! Pray always. God bless!

Labels: ,