Friday, August 29, 2008

Daily Digest #128

By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. —John 13:35

We show our love in many ways. We hug, we kiss, we smile at each other. We send out thoughtful gestures to show how much we care. We say I love you. But let us ask ourselves: How often do we mean every gesture, every uttered "i love you"? Is our love dependent on feelings alone? What if the feeling goes away?

When we truly love, we see it through our actions. We are kinder. We are more generous of our time. We listen more. We forgive more. We don't give up on each other. We do not waste our time on grudge or envy or gossip. We uplift each other. We mean everything we say or do out of love. Though we may not realize it, we bring each other closer to God by loving one another.

Pitiful is a person who only shows it to look good or righteous in front of others. For one is not only fooling another, but one's self. As the Bible says: If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Cor 13:1-3)

For this, let us pray. May God teach us to love as He has loved. May we make it a point that we express real love each day. May we make the most of the time given to us in love and prayer. Have a wonderful day! Pray always.

Labels: ,