Sunday, May 10, 2009

Daily Digest #276

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. —1 Peter 5:8

The verse stated above reminds us about staying alert. No matter how secure and confident we feel about our spirituality or our individuality, there will always be situations that, or people who, are bound to test our character. If you are an impatient person like me, the temptation to overreact or be indifferent is always present. But it is all a matter of choice on how to act or react upon a nuisance, a discomfort or an injustice. Do we snap each time? Do we speak before we think?

I had to learn the "thinking before speaking" the hard way. Years before, I broke a certain relationship because I couldn't keep my cool. I acted out of plain irritability without thinking of the consequences. As a result, we grew further apart until there was no more trust and enthusiasm left. All because of giving in to the temptation to hurt another when I always had the choice to love, to show compassion and be kind.

For this, let us pray. May we stay alert. May we keep words of wisdom in our hearts so we may be ready should trials come. May we also believe that although we fall short sometimes, the good Lord offers us a new beginning. Pray always.

Labels: ,